[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding a staging branch (temporarily) to facilitate upstreaming

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 30 01:12:44 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:34 AM Nikita Popov <nikita.ppv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 7:15 AM Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> As I understand it, a key need is to explicitly contribute this to the
>> LLVM project to make it unambiguous that it has been contributed and is
>> completely available for folks not at Apple to iterate on the code and turn
>> it into code-reviewable chunks.
>>
>> So whatever happens needs to be quite explicit in its nature as a
>> contribution. IMO, a branch of the repository definitely qualifies.
>>
>> IMO, a pull request isn't as clear given that they haven't been used for
>> contributions before. This is not a time to be innovative IMO. A branch as
>> a staging location has been used many times over the history of the project
>> though and seems nicely unambiguous in that regard.
>>

> If this is just a legal matter, can't it be solved as such? I would expect
> just releasing a statement that you contribute the diff between
> apple/llvm-project at XXX and llvm/llvm-project at YYY under the LLVM license
> should be sufficient.

There are potentially many ways to accomplish what you describe. However,
the options Duncan listed in his original email are genuinely the easiest
ones any of those involved have come up with and the next best ideas are
either substantially less clear or substantially more work IMO.

Duncan also gave some evidence that the size increase is quite small.
Again, just IMO.