[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator Maintenance

Fangrui Song via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 26 17:45:59 PDT 2020

On 2020-06-26, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev wrote:
>On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 12:41 PM Danila Malyutin via llvm-dev <
>llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> For the record,
>> Phabricator is even worse for that purpose as it doesn't really guarantee
>> that what's been reviewed is actually what will be committed.
>> In fact, I've got bit by that before svn->git transition (error in
>> reapplying the patch on svn for submission).
>> GitHub PRs solve this problem. In fact, there wouldn't be any need for the
>> "getting commit rights" process and all those pings from the new
>> contributors, since it'd be easy to make PR mergeable by anyone as long
>> once they are approved.

It is sometimes handy that the commit can have a slightly different
message from the review "summary". One can make a final adjustment to
the message. The reviewers/subscribers can get one less email
notification.

With github, one may have to do a force push to adjust the description
("Commits" pulls/*/commits, not "Conversation"). However, as previous
discussions mentioned, force push can cause stray comment issues.

I also want to note that with the "Squash and merge" button, it is
easily messing up the commit message with bullet points such as "Fix ..."
"Lowercase ..." "Typo" ...