[llvm-dev] [RFC] Compiled regression tests.

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 24 09:18:31 PDT 2020

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 6:34 PM Michael Kruse via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello LLVM community,
>
> For testing IR passes, LLVM currently has two kinds of tests:
>  1. regression tests (in llvm/test); .ll files invoking opt, and
> matching its text output using FileCheck.
>  2. unittests (in llvm/unittests); Google tests containing the IR as a
> string, constructing a pass pipeline, and inspecting the output using
> code.
>
> I propose to add an additional kind of test, which I call "compiled
> regression test", combining the advantages of the two.

You expand below on the mechanism you'd like to implement, but I am a bit
puzzled about the motivation right now?
I'm failing to see what kind of IR-level test (unittests are relevant for
data-structures and non-IR internals IMO) we would implement this way that
we can't just implement with lit/FileCheck?

Thanks,

--
Mehdi