[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

antlists via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 22 12:59:58 PDT 2020

On 21/06/2020 11:20, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> Words have many meanings in one single language. But English is not
> just one language. To begin with, it's spoken natively in many
> countries and totally different words and sometimes grammar are used.
> But there's also the "international" English, which the rest of the
> world uses, especially in computer science. Lots of those words had no
> other meaning to me before I moved into an English speaking country.

You may be correct in that MODERN "English worldwide" has diverged into
a bunch of "similar but not the same" languages, but you're also
accidentally correct that, even in England, English is a not-complete
merger of about five or six different languages! That's to say nothing
of the other languages spoken elsewhere in the British Isles. Oh and I'm
not talking about modern immigrant languages of the last 200 years or so!

American is a different language to English, "real" English is the
language of the Saxons in the south of Britain. They don't speak English
in Scotland - they speak a (very similar) language called Scots. Unless
of course we rename our versions "Saxon", but that'll probably piss off
the Scots-speaking Anglish in the north, and the Saxons in Saxony ...

Maybe I'm more sensitive than most, probably am, but I wish the
Americans would have decency and national pride to do want plenty of
other countries have done - NOT call their own language "English".
"American" would be perfect - the Australians call theirs "Strine" (a
contraction of Australian), Canadians call it Canadian English, I don't
know where it is but there's Pidgin ... let's face it - MOST other
countries have renamed their language to some degree or other.

Cheers,
Wol