[llvm-dev] Restrict qualifier on class members

Neil Henning via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 22 01:54:50 PDT 2020

I was originally going to cover this in my now defunct EuroLLVM talk but...
we had this exact same problem on Unity's HPC# Burst compiler - how to
track no-aliasing on structs. We were constrained in that we had to make it
work with LLVM versions all the way back to shipped LLVM 6, so what we did
was:

   - Add module-level metadata that tracked whether a given struct member
   field was no-alias.
   - Added our own alias analysis using createExternalAAWrapperPass to
   register it in the pass pipeline.

This allowed us to have zero modifications to LLVM and do something useful
with aliasing. The one 'issue' with it is if you have a stack-allocated
struct that is SROA'ed you will lose the info that it was a struct, or if
you are in a private/internal linkage function that has the struct as an
argument, the opt passes can modify the function signature to lose the
struct too. We had to do some mitigations here to get perfect aliasing on
our usecases.

Hope this helps,
-Neil.

Neil Henning