[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 20 16:02:19 PDT 2020

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 3:31 PM James Courtier-Dutton <
james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am more confused than anything else.
> There are whole areas of data design and management called "Master
> Data Management".
> In financial statements there is the expression "In the black" meaning
> a good positive figure in the balance sheet,

I'm glad to hear that there are positive uses of the word "black"!

> and "in the red" and a
> bad negative figure.
> So, for the confused people like me, I would prefer someone to come up
> with a list of words (and in what context) that are offensive, and
> then we can easily avoid them in future.

It is hard to have an exhaustive list, but I'm sure we can come up with a
list of resources to link to from our docs (coding standards for example),
I pointed to IETF doc
<https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-00.html#rfc.section.1.1> in
the original post, Google also has a doc on Writing inclusive documentation
<https://developers.google.com/style/inclusive-documentation>,

> I am sure, like me, that none
> of us wish or have ever wished to use offensive words.
> I get the feeling that people are having to guess at the moment, Is
> "xyz" offensive?

I am fairly confident that "xyz" is OK :)

Best,

--
Mehdi