[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 17:00:45 PDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 4:55 PM antlists via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On 19/06/2020 20:43, Matt Arsenault via llvm-dev wrote:
> >

> >> On Jun 19, 2020, at 15:38, Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev
> >> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm interested to hear more about the actual problem Matt perceives
> >> with respect to the release actually: why should the release have any
> >> impact with the development branch?
> >>

> > That was just an example of a concrete time. Other transitions requiring
> > wide coordination have had some release-associated timeframe (like
> > minimum toolchain/cmake upgrades), so I thought it would just be a
> > logical semi-arbitrary point in time.
> >
> Would it make sense to pick that semi-arbitrary point in time as being
> the next release? So master is renamed for the next release.

Well you wrote in another email: `please do things for sound *technical*
reason`, what is the technical reason here?
We *can* pick this point in time, but I haven't seen the reason to do so
(and actually since we're already making branch/tag changes at that time it
may even be a reason to avoid it).