[llvm-dev] Inclusive language in LLVM: can we rename `master` branch?

Justin Hibbits via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 19 07:28:23 PDT 2020

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 14:45:37 +0100
Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 at 12:57, Hal Finkel via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > I like "dev" as an option here. It's short, and in addition,
> > conveys the fact that the development happens in that branch.
> > "main" in fine too, although it doesn't have has much semantic
> > benefit.
>
> "main" shares the first two letters of "master", and it's nice for TAB
> completion. :)

I'm still confused why the name needs to be changed.  It's a branch
upon which (nearly) all other branches are based, and rebased.  Why is
'master' such a horrible name for it?  There are no negative
connotations with a branch name.  Anyone who reads more into it, the
problem is on them and them alone.

- Justin