[llvm-dev] IRC spam

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 16 09:34:53 PDT 2020

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 7:27 AM Renato Golin via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 at 15:06, Joerg Sonnenberger via llvm-dev
> <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> > I also see little evidence that it would fix the problem of someone
> > having too much time on their hand and wants to be a nuisance.
>
> AFAICS, this is not the problem.
>
> The nicks are clearly randomly generated by smashing words together
> and the content seems to be what comes out of a language model after
> reading angry Facebook posts.

Perhaps, though I've seen them responding to people (not that that
rules out AI), etc. I'm with Joerg and Erich - I believe it's an
actual person. I actually saw them respond to a query yesterday - the
person seemed to get the answer they were looking through (reading
between the lines/etc of the strained grammar of this spammer person),
and their understanding/conclusion wasn't wrong & left before I could
clarify/provide further context - I worry about that happening more
regularly. Either this person scaring people off, and/or giving them
confusing/problematic advice, etc.

> Registering is quick and easy and would filter 99% of the automated
> accounts. Not 100% and not the people with too much time in their
> hands.

Yep - having to create a new email address/verify it/etc does add some
friction (for intended and unintended users of course) - discord and
the like have far more incentive & resources to implement anti-spam
functionality than IRC does, unfortunately.