[llvm-dev] target-features attribute prevents inlining?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 12 23:48:37 PDT 2020

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 10:42 PM Haoran Xu <haoranxu510 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you so much David! After thinking a bit more I agree with you that attempting to add 'target-features' to my functions seem to be the safest approach of all.
>
> I noticed that if I mark the clang++ function as 'AlwaysInline', the inlining is performed normally. Is this a potential bug, given what you said that LLVM may accidentally move code using advanced cpu features outside the condition-check?

I guess that's probably just one of those "you get what you asked for"
situations - if you're mixing target attributes and forcing inlining,
it's assumed you've weighed the risks/figured out how to make that
work safely. But I'm not entirely sure.

> Also, may I ask an additional (kind of irrelevant) question?
> The functions I extracted from clang++ output are already optimized. I wanted to have some way to prevent LLVM from wasting time in optimizing them again at runtime, when those functions are fed together with my functions (which should be optimized) into the optimizer. Is there any way to achieve this? I do not think the 'optnone' attribute is the solution since it prevents the function from being inlined. I am currently marking those clang++ functions to have 'available_externally' linkage, which I feel is the closest to what I want from my understanding of the document, though I'm not sure if this is the right approach, or if there is a better approach. Could you kindly give some pointers on this question?

available_externally seems problematic - what that does is, if LLVM
fails to inline the available_externally definition, it can
drop/delete the definition and rely on a definition being available in
some other object file/module that this one is linked to. So if you
add that attribute and the function is not inlined, you'll probably
get a linker error about a missing symbol definition.

"optnone" is about all we have for this sort of thing - so if that's
not what you're looking for, probably best to just let LLVM
re-optimize the function. In general optimizations should be cheap if
they're not doing any work/the function is already optimized.

- Dave