[llvm-dev] [PROPOSAL] Introduce a new LLVM process to resolve contentious decisions

Philip Reames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 10 13:34:40 PDT 2020

Overall, +1 from me.

I have a few concerns about the detail, but adopting this with the
attitude that we're expecting to iterate on the process itself seems
like a step in the right direction.

I'll simply list my concerns as I think each of these has been expanded
on down thread by others.

1) Length of review period - two weeks is too short.

2) Who selects review managers - I'd be fine with Chris having final
call.  I also think concerns about selection can largely be handled on a
case by case basis as part of review feedback.

3) I'd prefer llvm-dev over another mailing list for now.  We could
switch later, but I don't see a strong reason to switch now.

4) I think it needs to be very clear that reviewers are only expected to
have read the current proposal.  It should be the responsibility of
author to summarize previous discussion.  I consider the "this was
discussed in X old thread" an anti pattern for this type of discussion.

Philip