[llvm-dev] [PROPOSAL] Introduce a new LLVM process to resolve contentious decisions

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 8 16:04:02 PDT 2020

I appreciate the emphasis on making sure the arguments are laid out clearly, and that the process happens in the open.

The proposal says “A group of either 2 or 4 community members are selected”; the document doesn’t really make it clear who selects them.  Reading it a few more times, it sounds like the process is supposed to be “The person writing the [PITCH] selects […]” (and then Chris can suggest adjustments)?  Is the person writing the [PITCH] allowed to be a review manager?

I think some broader changes to the LLVM RFC process would make sense, particular in terms of the evolution of LLVM IR.  But this seems like a reasonable starting point for ensuring proposals don’t just grind to a halt without any decision being made.

-Eli