[llvm-dev] Nested instruction patterns rejected by GlobalISel when having registers in Defs

Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 5 12:02:19 PDT 2020

The implicit defs don't participate much in the patterns. For the most part it's just read into CodeGenInstruction::ImplicitDefs and then GlobalISel gathers and adds them all at the end. I think I do see the code Gabriel is referring to though.
GetNumNodeResults() has:
    if (InstInfo.HasOneImplicitDefWithKnownVT(CDP.getTargetInfo()) !=MVT::Other)
      ++NumDefsToAdd;
and ultimately this VT gets into Types via UpdateNodeType(). I have no idea why this code does this as I don't really see why the VT matters to how you treat an implicit def. This code dates back to 2010 (r99726) and that commit called it 'funky logic' so it's unlikely that we'll find someone that remembers it.

Does your CCReg need to have a specific type? If not, then you could make it MVT::Other and the problem should go away.

Have you looked into how DAGISel supports these patterns? This code is common between DAGISel and GlobalISel so given that DAGISel works it must be doing something to handle this that's missing from GlobalISel.