[llvm-dev] Switch to ld.bfd tombstone behavior by default

James Henderson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 17 02:05:25 PDT 2020

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 02:20, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:

> P.S: Sony's already been using the -1 technique with their debugger and
> linker for a while, so they may want to keep this on by default for SCE -
> but I'm not sure how to do that in-tree. Clang doesn't know which lld
> version it's running, so whether the flag can be specified, I would think?
> (so it'd be hard to have Clang go "if SCE and LLD, pass the flag to use
> -1", I think) - if there is a way to make that decision in the compiler
> driver+linker, then we'd have a question of "default new behavior except
> when tuning for LLDB and GDB" or "default bfd behavior except when tuning
> for SCE".

Currently, where we want different defaults in our LLD to upstream LLD, our
downstream port overrides the behaviour, if the linker name matches our
downstream linker name. The behaviour isn't at all related to the input
file targets etc. This is so that the linker can be run without using the
clang driver to provide all the various arguments/keep things simpler in
our restricted environment etc. We might change this in the future, but
either way, as long as there's a configurable behaviour we can easily
override, then it's fine.

It would help if we get a heads up if a default behaviour like this is
changing, since sometimes it might cause us problems/not get noticed by our
testing etc.