[llvm-dev] [RFC] Introducing classes for the codegen driven by new pass manager

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 16 00:25:04 PDT 2020

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 6:39 PM Chen, Yuanfang via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Indeed, but there is a distinction about their position in the pipeline. We run opt & codegen pipeline separately,

Why, though? Is there a reason why this inherently makes sense, or is
it just a historical accident? At least to me it seems that it would
make more sense to run all passes within a single pipeline.

Cheers,
Nicolai

> Do you run “codegen” IR passes with regular IR passes? If so, do you mind sharing the use cases? I might have missed this use case.

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.