[llvm-dev] [RFC] Pass return status

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 15 07:45:51 PDT 2020

On 7/15/20 3:33 AM, Serge Guelton via llvm-dev wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> some more information on this feature -  as a reminder I started one
> month ago to work on an expensive check that would verify that pass
> return status is correctly reported by passes, i.e. no pass return «
> IR not modified » while actually modifying it.
> It took ~20 pass fixes to achieve that goal, as many passes were not
> respectful of that contract, but as
> of 3667d87a33d3c8d4072a41fd84bb880c59347dc0,
> https://reviews.llvm.org/D80916 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D80916> has
> been merged in master and the check is active, which should prevent
> further regression on that topic.
>
> Thanks a lot to @foad, @jdoerfert, @fhahn, @calixte (and others I'm
> sorry to forgot) for their help during the reviews.

This is great news!

Some years ago, we did some experiments on whether we could develop more
fixed-point optimization within LLVM's pipeline. This was not the only
impediment we identified, but it was a major one.

Out of curiosity, does change here include changes to names, and other
semantically-irrelevant changes (e.g., changing the order of operands in
a PHI)?

  -Hal

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 11:24 PM Mehdi AMINI <joker.eph at gmail.com
> <mailto:joker.eph at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 8:42 AM Serge Guelton via llvm-dev
>     <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
>         Hi folks,
>
>         Per the documentation[0], whenever an LLVM pass doesn't modify
>         the IR it's run on, it
>         should return `false`--it's okay to return `true` if no change
>         happen, just less
>         optimal. In the New PM area, this is generally translated into
>         a `PreservedAnalyses::all()`.
>
>         https://reviews.llvm.org/D80916
>         <https://reviews.llvm.org/D80916> provides an
>         `EXPENSIVE_CHECK` that computes a
>         hash of the IR before and after the pass, and checks that any
>         change is
>         correctly reported. The hash is currently incomplete (on
>         purpose, let's start
>         small), but it turns out a dozen of passes do not satisfy that
>         requirement.
>
>         This could lead to various category of bugs (dangling
>         references, inconsistent
>         state, etc). This affects both New and Legacy PM, as passes
>         tend to wrap functions
>         that report their status.
>
>         I wrote a bunch of patches for all failure detected by this
>         check, as I cannot land the
>         check now, it would break the buildbots :-) Any help to review
>         the remaining
>         ones [1] is appreciated.
>
>         Once that check lands and we're relatively confident on the
>         quality of the
>         return status, some more optimizations could be triggered, like
>         https://reviews.llvm.org/D80707 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D80707>.
>

>     Awesome feature! I am really fond of these pieces of
>     infrastructure that can defend against human mistakes and save
>     countless hours of debugging when subtle issues arise.
>
>     Thanks Serge,
>
>     --
>     Mehdi
>

>         [0]