[llvm-dev] RFC: Bugzilla migration plan

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 10 11:13:45 PDT 2020

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 10:47 AM Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> > Over time, the bugs alive today will end up with two references, 1234
> > and 5678 and it will be confusing which bug you're talking about.
> Yes, I agree, this might be a problem, however I'm not 100% sure we
> could reset the counter. Still we will see if we could ensure the same
> numbering during the migration (e.g just keeping first ~250 bz issues
> in the archive and try to continue the numbering in the llvm-project
> repo). But at least the redirect would provide the mapping as a last
> resort.

I believe that was the sort of notion proposed (maybe by James Y
Knight?) as one solution in the previous thread - importing so they
line up, and potentially rewriting those first 250 (refiling the
original github ones on top of the imported ones - then rewriting the
original github ones to be the original bugzilla ones - apparently
with some loss of fidelity (pull requests/etc use the same numbering,
so some of those early bugzilla bugs would be end up being written
into pull requests - but they're so old some slightly quirky rendering
seems OK))

(honestly, if it made it /way/ easier - probably having those first
250 remain what they are, and adding a comment or something "hey, if
you're looking for the original bugzilla bug 123, it's over at issue
5047" or whatever - I doubt those couple of hundred bugs are often
looked at, etc)