[llvm-dev] [LNT] Build bot problems due to Python dependencies

Ulrich Weigand via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 10 05:07:39 PDT 2020

Hello,

as of Jul 9, the LNT build bot on SystemZ shows red.  The problem occurs in
the "setup lit" test, which fails due to:
Processing dependencies for LNT==0.4.2.dev0
Searching for typing
Reading https://pypi.org/simple/typing/
Downloading
https://files.pythonhosted.org/packages/8f/00/c999df515e923dbb73281426f5032a3d12b68600e362af30ed2c495d1e79/typing-3.7.4.2.tar.gz#sha256=6f6f3553709d2234e412092e5daa93aaaaa42ea1854505442280b39f9311707f

Best match: typing 3.7.4.2
Processing typing-3.7.4.2.tar.gz
Writing /tmp/easy_install-320eoftg/typing-3.7.4.2/setup.cfg
Running typing-3.7.4.2/setup.py -q bdist_egg
--dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-320eoftg/typing-3.7.4.2/egg-dist-tmp-h7gsmgmu
ERROR: You need Python 2.7 or 3.4 to install the typing package.
error: Setup script exited with 1

I'm not really a Python expert, but from reading the docs it appears that
on Python 3.5 and newer, one should should never attempt to install the
"typing" module, as the functionality has been integrated into the core.
(The sandbox on the build bot system uses Python 3.8.)

And in fact, if I manually remove the "typing" entry in the
install_requires section of lnt/setup.py, the installation (and subsequent
test suite run) goes through.

How is this supposed to work?  Could this be some sort of environment issue
on my machine?

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand | Phone: +49-7031/16-3727
  Distinguished Engineer, Open source compilers and toolchain