[llvm-dev] Proposal for CIRCT incubator project

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 9 03:47:37 PDT 2020

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 at 22:43, Chris Lattner <clattner at nondot.org> wrote:
> I think that flang beat us to the punch as the first external MLIR user :-) but thank you for your support Renato!

Ah, but Flang is in the monorepo and builds together with LLVM, while
CIRCT (and my current project, Verona) "uses" MLIR/LLVM externally (as
a submodule).

There are a number of build issues in both LLVM and MLIR that make it
awkward for projects in that category to use the LLVM libraries and
having a project in the llvm group will give us an "official" reason
to solve those problems more efficiently.

I've been meaning to start a thread on that, but I need to collect all
the build issues I had in an email so we can discuss them. Not for
this thread, though. :)

cheers,
--renato