[llvm-dev] RFC: Adding a staging branch (temporarily) to facilitate upstreaming

Johannes Doerfert via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 2 07:27:34 PDT 2020

On 6/30/20 4:02 PM, Duncan Exon Smith via llvm-dev wrote:
> Regardless, if a separate repo is preferred, then a better name from our perspective would be "llvm-project-staging" (dropping the "-apple" suffix). We could push a "staging/apple" branch there.

+1 for a separate repo with a neutral name and "company" branches.

* Unlikely we spam people

* Easy to understand from the github page

* Invisible to the existing users of llvm-project/llvm

* Unlikely to confuse people that have or download llvm (=accidental
build of staging/apple)

I haven't really seen a downside, though I might have missed something.