[llvm-dev] [RFC] Compiled regression tests.

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 1 11:48:12 PDT 2020

"Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> We even have scripts that automatically generate such tests, used
> primarily in codegen tests.  I devoutly hope that the people who
> produce those tests responsibly eyeball all those cases.

I don't think people do because they are so noisy.  Solving the problem
was the primary motivation of my pile of test update script
enhancements.

> Hal’s suggestion is more to the point: If the output we’re generating
> is not appropriate to the kinds of tests we want to perform, it can be
> worthwhile to generate different kinds of output.  MIR is a case in
> point; for a long time it was hard to introspect into the interval
> between IR and final machine code, but now it’s a lot easier.

+1.  I don't believe there's a silver bullet here.  Different tools are
appropriate for different kinds of tests.  I happen to think Michael's
proposal is another useful tool in the box, as is Hal's.

             -David