[llvm-dev] [RFC][FileCheck] New option to negate check patterns

Thomas Preud'homme via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jan 31 02:25:08 PST 2020

Hi James,

I feel it might be confusing to have a CHECK becomes effectively a CHECK-NOT, especially if the RUN line is far from the CHECK line (which is often the case when a single RUN line drives several groups of CHECK directives (e.g. code generation tested for several functions for a specific feature, like PIC). You also loose control on where the NOT should be: it would have to be at the same location as the CHECK even though for the NOT case you might want to check it somewhere else.

How about having a concept of regex variables where you give a name to a given directive's pattern which you could reuse as another pattern. Something like (syntax TBD):

CHECK<NAME>: mov [[REG:r[0-9]+]], #42
CHECK-NOT: <NAME>

Best regards,

Thomas