[llvm-dev] [RFC] Python 2 / Python 3 status

Fangrui Song via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 29 12:29:36 PST 2020

On 2020-01-29, Reid Kleckner via llvm-dev wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 2:27 AM Serge Guelton via llvm-dev <
>llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> My personal take on this would be to start moving forward. Still
>> supporting both
>> version this year, but obsoleting Python 2.7 and requiring, say Python 3.6,
>> starting January 2021 looks like a good compromise.
>>

>Sounds good to me. Keeping the window of time during which we support both
>Python 2 and 3 as small as possible would be nice.

One blocker may be shebang, #!/usr/bin/env python

may pick either Python 2 or Python 3, if the distributions haven't
migrated.

Some scripts has dome
`#!/usr/bin/env python` -> `#!/usr/bin/env python3` but some have not.
If we can update the rest, it may be easier for our overall migration.

I also recall Reid said `#!/usr/bin/env python` might make Windows
developers happier but I forget the details.