[llvm-dev] Limited use types in the back end

Nemanja Ivanovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 29 12:18:51 PST 2020

Well, frankly the issue is mainly the inline asm.

Say the instruction has the form
<opcode> RT, RA, RB
Where all of RT/RA/RB have to be multiples of 4. The instruction does a
binary operation: RA/RA+1/RA+2/RA+3 <op> RB/RB+1/RB+2/RB+3. Namely, the
operation is performed on 4 vector registers at a time, producing a 4
vector register result.
This can be modeled in a rather straightforward way with the right number
of operands and results to the SDAG node for the operation.

However, to let the register allocator select a register for an inline asm
constraint, I need to say that variable X goes into register R. I have a
constraint that says give me one of these registers that are composed of 4
other registers. And the variable has a type that is as wide as 4 vectors
(say v8i64). Then when the DAG builder tries to build the INLINEASM node
for that directive, it wants to split the illegal type into 4 vectors to
create the CopyToReg nodes.
This is really an issue with any type that is wider than the widest
register.