[llvm-dev] [RFC] Print FP constant assembly in hexadecimal form instead of decimal

Jinsong Ji via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 28 11:04:32 PST 2020

Hi:

When debugging some floating point assembly, we found it is inconvenient to
read the decimal constants in assembly.

In hex form many FP numbers are immediately recognizable, their exponents
are more obvious etc.
We normally use hex form in debugger or LLVM IR,
not sure what is the reason that we want to use decimal in assembly?

The form change won't change precision or affecting rounding, I think most
assembler should support hex form too?

Appreciate your feedback and comments if there is anything that we should
consider before changing the default behavior.

FYI. This is a patch https://reviews.llvm.org/D73566 that show the change
and affected in tree testcases.
Reviews and comments are highly appreciated, thank you!

Best,

Jinsong Ji (纪金松), PhD.

XL/LLVM on Power Compiler Development
E-mail: jji at us.ibm.com