[llvm-dev] Reviews needed for LazyCallGraph patches (and coroutines)

Shoaib Meenai via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 21 15:49:39 PST 2020

CCing Chandler and Fedor for feedback on the new pass manager.

On 1/21/20, 3:18 PM, "llvm-dev on behalf of Brian Gesiak via llvm-dev" <llvm-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org on behalf of llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

    Hey all,

    Thanks to reviews by Wenlei He and JunMa (junparser), I have a stack
    of patches that implement the C++20 coroutine transformations in the
    new LLVM pass manager. The stack builds and optimizes coroutines in
    major open source coroutine libraries like
    http://github.com/lewissbaker/cppcoro. I also use the patches in my
    employer's downstream fork of LLVM/Clang, and it successfully compiles
    large C++ codebases that make use of C++17 and coroutines.

    The coroutine patches exist as a stack of 6 Phabricator revisions [1].
    Crucially, they make use of 3 patches related to LazyCallGraph, the
    call graph representation used by the new pass manager:

    1. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D72025&d=DwIGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=o3kDXzdBUE3ljQXKeTWOMw&m=7kZTN83WVu9bhfqIZtRR15pR0tbwTrUmjZ3Ajjfa9wY&s=kpLjtimhsMhNjVPLzvuD8eGmq-jcSv20Uju_AdarTTE&e=  (by Johannes Doerfert)
    2. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D70927&d=DwIGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=o3kDXzdBUE3ljQXKeTWOMw&m=7kZTN83WVu9bhfqIZtRR15pR0tbwTrUmjZ3Ajjfa9wY&s=XRnY-8Zn_EoSKY6Wu5mmuDVf8TKU07Au19I4L2dt1kU&e=  (ditto)
    3. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D72226&d=DwIGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=o3kDXzdBUE3ljQXKeTWOMw&m=7kZTN83WVu9bhfqIZtRR15pR0tbwTrUmjZ3Ajjfa9wY&s=P08bstAo5XXdmeDExMssmt7dU_favQOQ2k634si0BC0&e=  (this one by me)

    I only have moderate experience using the new pass manager, so I'd
    greatly appreciate a review of these patches. My coroutine patches
    rely on the interfaces they add to the LazyCallGraph abstraction.
    Could someone chime in with whether those interfaces could be merged
    to trunk?

    - Brian Gesiak

    [1] Sequentially, https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D71898&d=DwIGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=o3kDXzdBUE3ljQXKeTWOMw&m=7kZTN83WVu9bhfqIZtRR15pR0tbwTrUmjZ3Ajjfa9wY&s=lxA19e74ycegcH6AbWGuBs13m5WDDqf5TPcTAmYCYNs&e=  through
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__reviews.llvm.org_D71903&d=DwIGaQ&c=5VD0RTtNlTh3ycd41b3MUw&r=o3kDXzdBUE3ljQXKeTWOMw&m=7kZTN83WVu9bhfqIZtRR15pR0tbwTrUmjZ3Ajjfa9wY&s=xKsheT47ZKP7XdEGNXzQeNCRsCNoZYmKFXAZjYsgkfU&e= . Reviews are welcome here as well!