[llvm-dev] Proposing a llvm-patch helper script in-tree to create/apply patches without arc

Nicolai Hähnle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 21 02:59:04 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 11:54 AM Neil Henning via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'd rather we decided on whether to accept GitHub PRs or not first (in the
> other thread). I would bet that everyone who has troubles with arc / is not
> allowed to use arc would happily use GitHub PRs instead.
>
> Worst case scenario if the community decides that we don't want to accept
> GitHub PRs then this sort of script would be a useful time sink.

I think it is useful in that it shows good-will and a way forward for
fixing the issues that people seem to have with Phabricator.

I have yet to see similar initiative among those who favor GitHub PRs. That
may be in part because one of the main problems of GitHub *cannot* be fixed
by outside parties, but only by GitHub themselves. Being beholden to an
external party like that is a bad thing, and was in fact the reason for
creating Git in the first place...

Cheers,
Nicolai

> Cheers,
> -Neil.
>
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 9:19 AM James Henderson via llvm-dev <
> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> I like the concept, and a quick glance at the script is essentially what
>> I'd expect, though I haven't looked at it in depth. I'm quite okay with
>> jumping through the current hoops needed to do those three items, but they
>> are also my most common operations, so a script would definitely simplify
>> things for me. Unfortunately, I don't currently have the time to invest in
>> it myself.
>>
>> On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 at 02:16, Florian Hahn via llvm-dev <
>> llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> One takeaway for me from the recent Phabricator vs Github PR discussions
>>> was that arc (arcanist) can be a pain to set up and may pose a hurdle for
>>> some contributors.
>>>
>>> I think those points could be addressed relatively easily by adding a
>>> llvm-patch script (or an even better name) that allows users to create and
>>> apply patches from reviews.llvm.org using Phabricators API. In my
>>> experience, the three most common uses cases are:
>>>
>>> 1. Create a new review from the current HEAD commit in the working
>>> directory and let me optionally add subscribers/reviewers
>>> 2. Update the diff for an existing review with the current HEAD commit
>>> in the working directory
>>> 3. Download the latest diff for a revision and apply it to the working
>>> directory, using the commit message from Phabricator.
>>>
>>> Those should be fairly easy to implement and as a proof-of-concept I
>>> went ahead and put up a patch implementing 3. from the list above:
>>> https://reviews.llvm.org/D73075 .
>>>
>>>  Please note that the script is probably a bit rough around the edges
>>> and I probably won’t have time to implement 1. and 2. in the near future on
>>> my own, but maybe someone would be interested in helping out.
>>>
>>> I think that could improve the experience for new contributors
>>> substantially:
>>>  * Create a new patch: `llvm-patch upload`
>>>  * Apply a patch from a review: `llvm-patch apply D12345`.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Florian
>>

> --
> Neil Henning
> Senior Software Engineer Compiler
> unity.com

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.