[llvm-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 15 15:19:03 PST 2020

I don't think creating a new thread (or series of N threads) because an
early patch in a series necessitate some refactoring of later patches is
ideal - while patch series can/should be avoided where reasonable (& if the
series is small enough/the framing/design is obvious enough, you can hold
on to the later patches rather than reviewing them all in parallel with the
volatility that comes with that approach) - but there are certainly cases
I've seen where it's helpful to send a dependent series together to help
frame/justify the goals of the early refactoring patches. If the early
refactoring requires changes - yeah, you get that done, signed off and
committed (while possibly doing higher level design review of later patches
that might be applicable regardless of the early refactoring - like if you
decide to rename a newly created function in an early patch, that shouldn't
hurt the review going on in later patches, for instance) & update later
patches with the knock-on effects. No need to start new mail threads/lose
review context/etc.

(sometimes review might indicate the whole patch series direction is not
preferred - in which case, yeah, maybe throwing it out and starting a new
thread/set of threads is appropriate - but not always)