[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

David Greene via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 15 08:46:27 PST 2020

Fangrui Song via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> Agree with Joerg here. And thanks for the recommendation
> https://gregoryszorc.com/blog/2020/01/07/problems-with-pull-requests-and-how-to-fix-them/
> It was a great reading!

It's a good read (I did not get through all of it yet) but I lost of bit
of interest when he talks about reviewing pull requests with multiple
commits.  Some of his arguments come down to, "people don't submit clean
histories for merging" which is going to be a problem for any review
tool.  It isn't limited to GitHub.

I do agree that pull requests should group review comments by commit.  I
certainly don't claim that GitHub is perfect.

I can't really speak to the scalability arguments against the pull
request model other than to say that we haven't had any issues
downstream with our repositories.

> We should find justifying reasons to migrate (it has a significant
> cost for people used to the current system), not just for the sake of
> using GitHub for everything.

People have posted multiple reasons so it's not fair to say that people
are pushing the move just for the sake of using GitHub.  It is true that
current users of Phab would have to change workflows.  That's the nature
of change.  If the benefit is moving to something more universally
understood that is much easier and welcoming for new contributors, I am
all for it.

                         -David