[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 14 08:31:40 PST 2020

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 at 02:26, Daniel Sanders via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> It's worth mentioning that Phabricator can read strings of the format 'Depends on D1234' from commit messages and create those relationships for you.

Side note: I find that there's too many unknown features of Phab that
require manual annotations on the commit message to work.

I don't think that's a good strategy. New contributors get lost in the
specifics and reviewers forget to do them.

> Also just because it's not easy to find unless you know it's there. You can view the parent/child relationships in the 'Revision Contents' section on the 'Stack' tab.

The parental relationship in Phab is not obvious. I can't easily see
it in the snapshot and often ask people to link the commits in order
when they already are.

I'd also like to see the whole series without having to navigate the
linked list.

Git allows multiple commits per pull request, so does GitHub's PR UI,
as well as showing all the other changes (force push, rebase, reorder,
additional fixups), which makes it much simpler to see what changed.

Phab is better at keeping track of old comments, but where GitHub
completely looses the comment (on history change), Phab moves the
comment to a random place in the file, which is equally broken.

Granted, GitHub's UI is much "simpler" than Phab, but to my view, this
is not a problem, but a benefit.

If we moved to GitHub PRs today, I wouldn't miss a thing.

cheers,
--renato