[llvm-dev] FC : A MLIR+LLVM based Fortran front end

Prashanth N R via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jan 11 10:52:20 PST 2020

Hi-

In August we made an announcement  of "FC: A new fortran front end"  [1].
At that time to get an end-to-end solution, we made FC to emit LLVM IR
directly.  At present, we have upgraded FC to emit MLIR. Currently the
language supported is close to Fortran-95. Apart from 400+ unit test cases,
out framework passes two SPEC-2017 benchmarks successfully.  Currently we
are cleaning up the code and plan to open source the same in a week or so.

Apart from the front end changes, we have defined a new high level dialect
in MLIR for representing Fortran. We have defined a new Loop Nest
Optimization framework along with one Loop Nest Optimization in it for the
time being. Also we have supported 4 OpenMP constructs and way to express
the same in MLIR framework.

Entire code is in the spirit of LLVM. If the community is interested, we
would like to work with the community and move forward.

thanks,
-Prashanth

PS: We did try to use F18 for a while and hit the issues raised in [2], [3].

1. http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2019-August/134620.html
2. http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2020-January/138069.html
3.
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/flang-dev/attachments/20191202/6e7c1e51/attachment-0001.pdf