[llvm-dev] [EXTERNAL] Guidance / examples of adding subprojects to a monorepo branch

Nagurne, James via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 9 06:58:09 PST 2020

I can't speak with complete experience since my team is still working on it, but I believe the LLVM 'runtimes' feature might be what you're looking for. I believe it has support for adding third party runtime projects that use CMake by checking out the directories into llvm/runtimes. Our team has used it to build libcxx/libcxxabi/libunwind/compiler-rt builtins and profile with just-built compilers, but this code is unfortunately not public to show you. However, examples of cache files are in clang/cmake/caches. Of specific note is the Fuchsia cache files, which have a 2-stage toolchain build followed by a runtimes build using the just-built compiler.

If you utilize this feature, you'll get the ability to build everything within one cmake invocation, and even be able to install the libraries automatically as part of the distribution. There's also support for the concept of 'multilibs', which allow for building runtimes with the same target but slightly different options. This is helpful if you need variations with C++ exception support and variations without, for example.

There are a few snags we ran into, specifically:

  *   https://reviews.llvm.org/D71570
  *   An issue where LLVM_* configurations are overridden by the just-built clang value, rather than the runtimes-configured value

I found the following information helpful:

  *   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCQGpUzXDsY
  *   https://llvm.org/docs/BuildingADistribution.html
  *   https://llvm.org/docs/HowToCrossCompileBuiltinsOnArm.html#alternative-using-a-cmake-cache

JB