[llvm-dev] Flang landing in the monorepo - next Monday!

Eric Christopher via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 8 17:35:44 PST 2020

Hi Gregory,

(As a note, you didn't reply to the thread so I didn't see this until now.)

As I said in my previous thread: "You don't use a single llvm header
anywhere" that's a pretty low bar for "looks like an llvm project" - and
nothing has changed in the 3 weeks since I sent my earlier message. "We
plan on" isn't a very compelling argument for "looks like llvm".

As far as the current use in the clang driver: Honestly I don't think you
should be using the clang driver and had I seen I probably wouldn't have
accepted those patches either. I think it would be better off to turn parts
of the driver you might need into a separable library rather than include
fortran support into a "c based languages" driver and will probably try to
dig up that patch set and comment.

To be clear: I support the idea of a fortran compiler in llvm and
appreciate that you want to do it right. I would like to see a plan of
attack before we talk about imminently putting things in as relying on the
community to adopt llvm development practices and libraries seems to put a
lot of weight in the community rather than on the project that wants to
move in.

Thanks.

-eric