[llvm-dev] How to solve circular dependency between passes

Michael Kruse via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 8 09:21:44 PST 2020

This sounds like a typical 'phase ordering' problem and unfortunately
there is no solution to it without improving the passes themselves.
For your case IndVarSimplify and LICM are considered canonicalization
passes. Any pass should be designed to work best on canonicalized IR.
In practice, however, this is not true [1]. In particular,
LoopInterchange is sensitive to dependencies created by LICM hoisting
code out of the inner loop. I don't think it is solvable in a
satisfying with the current pass infrastructure.

[1] http://llvm.org/devmtg/2018-10/talk-abstracts.html#talk11

Michael