[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] Phabricator -> GitHub PRs?

Jonas Devlieghere via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 7 17:35:40 PST 2020

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Bill Wendling via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:59 PM Doerfert, Johannes <jdoerfert at anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> On 01/07, Bill Wendling via llvm-dev wrote:
>> > Then perhaps those opposed could suggest how to use Phabricator/Arcanist so
>> > that I don't throw my keyboard through my monitor?
>>
>> Please explain your problems, w/o the hyperbole, so people can actually do that.
>>
> It's not hyperbole, but fine.  How do you use it to keep multiple, related changes in order?

You can use parent/child revisions. Phabricator encourages a
patches-based approach with small changes. For me that corresponds to
one commit per code review. When I address code review feedback in a
parent revision I use git's interactive rebase.

> The interface for reviewing and responding to reviews is horrific, e.g. quoting text from a review is rather bad, the email it sends is badly formatted and hard to read. How do you make it reasonably useful?

Inline comments are super useful, they can be marked as done and
hidden. I agree that sometimes there's a lot of context when quoting
text, but the format is very simple (similar to e-mail) so it's easy
to trim.

> Why can't I *easily* relate changes to each other?

What issues do you experience with parent/child revisions?

> Why can't I submit through the Phabricator interface, but have to go to the command line, place the change in a new branch, pull to top-of-tree, rebase, and only then push while hoping it doesn't give fail because the tree became out of date? How can I do a rebase through Phabricator?

You can upload patches through
https://reviews.llvm.org/differential/diff/create/. I personally don't
use arcanist even though I found it pretty useful in the past.