[llvm-dev] LLVM build performance with LLVM

David Blaikie via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 2 18:01:57 PST 2020

Were you trying to use a Debug build to build LLVM? Yes, that would be very
slow.

If you mean you were using a release build of LLVM to build a Debug build
of LLVM - yeah, that's generally going to be recommended. Did this get
slower/change significantly in performance? Many people have trouble with
building Debug builds (no matter the host compiler) especially if they're
using bfd-ld, since it's quite slow/uses a lot of memory. There are a few
other issues to do with memory usage (do you have less than about a GB of
RAM per CPU? Then you'll probably hit swapping by default & have a bad time
- there are ways around that)