[llvm-dev] Status of the git.llvm.org git repos

Mehdi AMINI via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 29 21:14:33 PST 2020

Hi,

This was indeed the intended plan (but to update them from the git monorepo
instead of SVN), except that no-one implemented it, and no-one really
requested it as part of the blockers to migrate.
It was also noted a while ago, that if we just write the script to update
these mirror, then anyone can run the script locally from the monorepo and
get the same result, which makes these mirrors not necessary.

This is actually not very complex I think:

cd /tmp/
git clone git at github.com:newren/git-filter-repo.git /tmp/git-filter-repo
git clone git at github.com:llvm/llvm-project.git
cd llvm-project
/tmp/git-filter-repo/git-filter-repo --subdirectory-filter llvm    --force
--refs master
# at this point you have a locally something that looks like
https://git.llvm.org/git/llvm.git ; but the hashes are different.
# the first new commit is 580acd1df4f0c4a865a20ed1e9467425e0dd382e ; we'll
cherry-pick all of them on
# top of the old repo https://git.llvm.org/git/llvm.git
git branch master-rewritten
git remote add llvm https://git.llvm.org/git/llvm.git
git fetch llvm
git reset --hard llvm/master
git cherry-pick
580acd1df4f0c4a865a20ed1e9467425e0dd382e~...master-rewritten --allow-empty
# done! (after a while...)

--
Mehdi