[llvm-dev] Multi-Threading Compilers

River Riddle via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Feb 29 15:17:10 PST 2020

On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 2:25 PM David Blaikie via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 2:19 PM Chris Lattner <clattner at nondot.org> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 29, 2020, at 2:08 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've
>>> curious as
>>> to how MLIR deals with IPO as that's the problem I was running into.
>>>

>> FWIW I believe LLVM's new pass manager (NPM) was designed with
>> parallelism and the ability to support this situation (that MLIR doesn't?
>> Or doesn't to the degree/way in which the NPM does). I'll leave it to folks
>> (Chandler probably has the most context here) to provide some more detail
>> there if they can/have time.
>>

>> Historically speaking, all of the LLVM pass managers have been designed
>> to support multithreaded compilation (check out the ancient history of the
>> WritingAnLLVMPass <http://llvm.org/docs/WritingAnLLVMPass.html> doc if
>> curious).
>>

> I think the specific thing that might'v been a bit different in the NPM
> was to do with analysis invalidation in a way that's more parallelism
> friendly than the previous one - but I may be
> misrepresenting/misundrstanding some of it.
>

>> The problem is that LLVM has global use-def chains on constants,
>> functions and globals, etc, so it is impractical to do this.  Every
>> “inst->setOperand” would have to be able to take locks or use something
>> like software transactional memory techniques in their implementation.
>> This would be very complicated and very slow.
>>

> Oh, yeah - I recall that particular limitation being discussed/not
> addressed as yet.
>

>> MLIR defines this away from the beginning.  This is a result of the core
>> IR design, not the pass manager design itself.
>>

> What does MLIR do differently here/how does it define that issue away?
> (doesn't have use-lists built-in?)

The major thing is that constants and global-like objects don't produce SSA
values and thus don't have use-lists.
https://mlir.llvm.org/docs/Rationale/#multithreading-the-compiler discusses
this a bit.

For constants, the data is stored as an Attribute(context uniqued metadata,
have no use-list, not SSA). This attribute can either placed in the
attribute list(if the operand is always constant, like for the value of a
switch case), otherwise it must be explicitly materialized via some
operation. For example, the `std.constant
<https://mlir.llvm.org/docs/Dialects/Standard/#constant-operation>`
operation will materialize an SSA value from some attribute data.

For references to functions and other global-like objects, we have a
non-SSA mechanism built around `symbols`. This is essentially using a
special attribute to reference the function by-name, instead of by ssa
value. You can find more information on MLIR symbols here
<https://mlir.llvm.org/docs/SymbolsAndSymbolTables/>.

Along with the above, there is a trait that can be attached to operations
called `IsolatedFromAbove
<https://mlir.llvm.org/docs/Traits/#isolatedfromabove>`. This essentially
means that no SSA values defined above a region can be referenced from
within that region. The pass manager only allows schedule passes on
operations that have this property, meaning that all pipelines are
implicitly multi-threaded.

The pass manager in MLIR was heavily inspired by the work on the new pass
manager in LLVM, but with specific constraints/requirements that are unique
to the design of MLIR. That being said, there are some usability features
added that would also make great additions to LLVM: instance specific pass
options and statistics, pipeline crash reproducer generation, etc.

Not sure if any of the above helps clarify, but happy to chat more if you
are interested.

-- River