[llvm-dev] llvm/clang documentation i18n ?

yun xinyi via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 26 09:54:42 PST 2020

Hi James,

Yes, documents changes over the time.
And keeping them up-to-date would takes a lot of efforts.

I tried years ago (2013~2015) with clang v3.4 , and finally I gave up.
It's too much for one person to complete.
The reason I come up again with this idea is that I saw people still
referencing the partial complete Chinese docs and sharing it among
others.
And there's other people doing the same thing (translating, sharing, revise).
So what if we gather all the effort together? maybe we would succeed
with a number of helping hand.Even if we failed, then we would learn
some lessons and leave something for others to try. The only bad
things is another dead doc repo?

So how about:
1. just give up the idea about up-to-date, stick to one version a
time. e.g.: we first translate version 7.0, and when we done, it's
version 9.0. then we skip version 8.0. start from 9.0, and so on. each
document mark with specific version number.
2. at the very beginning, we separate the i18n documents from the
mono-repo, given a more relaxed commit standard and see what happens?

FYI:
1. A lot of people seeking for Chinese documents is in academy
(teachers and students). So this project would have great influence on
them. And they are more likely to contribute to llvm/clang project in
return.
2. This would have even further impact. like helping tech writers and authors.

Regards,
Max