[llvm-dev] [LLVM][DISubprogram][LL format updation query] Question regarding moving DISubprogram DIFlags to DISPFlag.

Adrian Prantl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 20 12:24:31 PST 2020

> On Feb 20, 2020, at 1:10 AM, Djordje Todorovic via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> AFAIK, there are no compatibility guarantees for textual LLVM IR, so we only need to support the bitcode auto-upgrade. So, that would be acceptable if there is motivation for doing that.

This is correct. We take binary bitcode upgrading seriously, and occasionally implement textual IR assembler upgrades out of sheer laziness, not wanting to update tons of tests. However, it is perfectly acceptable to update and cleanup lots of tests, if the commit message contains a sed/perl/python script to perform the update, so people can apply it on their downstream fork's testcases. This is particularly true if the upgrade mostly affects IR *input* (I expect this to be the case here) — we have too be more careful when updating CHECK-lines since they often not as amenable to upgrading via sed.

-- adrian