[llvm-dev] [LLVM][DISubprogram][LL format updation query] Question regarding moving DISubprogram DIFlags to DISPFlag.

Djordje Todorovic via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 20 01:10:17 PST 2020

Hi Chirag,

On 20.2.20. 09:57, Chirag Patel wrote:
> Yes, removing the support for isLocal, isDefinition fields completely from ll files, currently the LLParser still parses it. I want to remove it and update the all the ll files which still uses it.

Could you please describe what is the benefit of that?

> Also the metadata read will support old format, no changes in that.
>
> so if ll file has isLocal and isDefinition it will result in parser error. But the bitcode read will work as usual.

AFAIK, there are no compatibility guarantees for textual LLVM IR, so we only need to support the bitcode auto-upgrade. So, that would be acceptable if there is motivation for doing that.
In addition, I'm not sure if this was documented somewhere, so we could improve the documentation for the metadata backward compatibility.

> - Chirag.

Best,
Djordje