[llvm-dev] amount of camelCase refactoring causing some downstream overhead

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 19 12:10:17 PST 2020

Hi Philip,

I think you might be reading more into the suggestion/discussion than is actually there.

  *   I do not want upstream developers "trying to be polite" if that delays otherwise worthwhile work.
Nobody suggested that.  It’s perfectly possible to “be polite” and still not delay worthwhile work.

  *   The current policy is "downstream is on their own".
Nobody disputes that.

  *   There was nothing even remotely unreasonable done in the patch series which triggered this discussion and I don't want any upstream contributor coming to believe there was.
I disagree with you about “nothing even remotely unreasonable” in that I think it was done slightly unreasonably, and I think it’s worthwhile to have other upstream contributors acknowledge that feeling.

What I’m aware of is a series of 5 separate patches, each of which re-capitalized a select subset of APIs in the same area.  This fixing-up is *long overdue* and I’m very happy to see it done.  But I will dispute the “reasonableness” of doing it in 5 separate stages (plus a few other related cleanups that were not simply re-capitalizing existing names).
The notion of “reviewable size” is not relevant, because these patches were not reviewed (in accordance with current policy, that this kind of mechanical fixup is “obvious” and does not require pre-commit review).
The patches were not really very distinct, with a HUGE overlap in the set of affected files.

We do like to minimize churn; this kind of fixup clearly qualifies as churn, but I respectfully submit that the way it was done does not *minimize* the churn.

And minimizing the churn is good for both the project and those of us who live downstream of it.
--paulr