[llvm-dev] [RFC] Extension to TableGen's AssemblerPredicates to support combining features with ORs

Simon Cook via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 19 04:24:52 PST 2020

Hi Nicolai,

On 15/02/2020 21:19, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:

> This seems like an eminently reasonable feature to want to have.
>
> I'm only worried that we're moving too far along the path of having
> DSLs inside DSLs. I suppose the first step was already made when
> adding comma-separated lists there, but perhaps we can still turn back
> and using something more TableGen-y instead?
>
> For example, rather than "AsmCond1,AsmCond2" or "AsmCond1|AsmCond2",
> could we perhaps allow dag expressions that look like `(and AsmCond1
> AsmCond2)` and `(or AsmCond1 AsmCond2)`, respectively?

I agree that having DSLs inside DSLs isn't ideal, and if I were
proposing adding more arbitrary combinations of operators this would be
a good way of expressing it.

I suppose we can go down that road now, and still keep the limitations
on the expressions already supported by the current approach. When I
next have time I'll put something together see how that
looks/works/feels and see which is the right route.

In the mean time does anyone have any other thoughts/preferences on
which way of expressing this seems most sensible?

Thanks,
Simon