[llvm-dev] amount of camelCase refactoring causing some downstream overhead

Ties Stuij via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 18 01:37:29 PST 2020

During that variable renaming debate, there was a discussion about discussion about doing things all at once, piecemeal or not at all. An issue that wasn't really resolved I think. I had the impression that the efforts fizzled out a bit, and I thought this renaming was maybe related to that, but I'm neutral on if we should do variable renaming.

All I'm asking as a kindness if we could be kind on poor downstream maintainers not on the issue of variable renaming at large, but on the micro level of not pushing 5/6 patches of this kind covering closely related functionality in two days but collating them in 1. I don't think that would slow down development, and I wanted to highlight the issue, as people might not be aware that they could save some pain in a simple way. Especially if indeed there is going to be a big renaming push and this would be a continuous thing.

Cheers,
/Ties