[llvm-dev] amount of camelCase refactoring causing some downstream overhead

Ties Stuij via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 17 04:03:51 PST 2020

Hi there,

At the end of last week we saw a number of commits go in that were camelCasing batches of MCStreamer::Emit* and AsmPrinter::Emit* functions.

For example:
- https://reviews.llvm.org/rG549b436beb4129854e729a3e1398f03429149691
- https://reviews.llvm.org/rGa55daa146166353236aa528546397226bee9363b
- https://reviews.llvm.org/rG0bc77a0f0d1606520c7ad0ea72c434661786a956

Unfortunately all these individual commits trigger the same merge conflicts over and over again with our downstream repo, which takes us some manual intervention every time.

I understand uniformity is a nice to have, but:
1 - is it worth it to do this work right now? I can remember the casing debate a few months back, which seems unrelated to this work which seems manual, but I'm unsure of the outcome.
2 - If this work should be done, it would be nice if all of the work is done in one batch, to save us some of the downstream overhead.

Thanks
/Ties