[llvm-dev] RFC: Mark BasicAA as a CFG-only pass.

Alina Sbirlea via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 10 11:34:21 PST 2020

Hi,

I'd like to understand if it makes sense to keep BasicAA as a not CFG-only
pass, or if it can be updated to CFG-only. The change was made in D44564
<https://reviews.llvm.org/D44564>.

>From what I gathered the motivation was PhiValuesAnalysis not being
properly updated, and BasicAA having an instance of it.
PhiValuesAnalysis now uses callback values to invalidate deleted values (
r340613 <https://reviews.llvm.org/rL340613>), PhiValuesAnalysis is also
being updated in MemDepAnalysis (D48489 <https://reviews.llvm.org/D48489>) and
BasicAA is invalidated if PhiValuesAnalysis gets invalidated.

I may not have the full context here, so I'd like some feedback: does it
make sense to make BasicAA a CFG-only pass again?

Thank you,
Alina