[llvm-dev] LLVM Backend Legalize Phase

Eli Friedman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Feb 7 11:43:44 PST 2020

For integer operations in particular, operation legalization (LegalizeDAG) has limited support, yes.  That isn’t really a fundamental limitation; the infrastructure is generally okay with rewriting operations to use different (legal) types.  But in practice, we don’t support marking basic integer operations like “ADD/AND/OR/XOR” as Expand, and it would be painful to implement in SelectionDAG and DAGCombine because a bunch of places assume they’re legal.  So in practice, a target that doesn’t have i32 “ADD” should not mark i32 as a legal type.

If the only “i32” operation the target has is load/store, I’d recommend modeling an “i32” load as a load of two i16 values.  You can either build these using custom lowering in SelectionDAG, or merge adjacent loads after isel.  Existing targets have instructions like this; for example, ldrd on ARM, ldp on AArch64.

-Eli