[llvm-dev] Debug_line.dwo not present in dwo object.

Sourabh Singh Tomar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Feb 2 13:22:48 PST 2020

Hello everyone,

As I was wrapping up my implementation of macro dwo section. I noticed that
debug_line.dwo is not present in dwo object, it's *only* present if type
units are also present.

While spec doesn't mandate the presence of debug_line.dwo section for when
macro section is present, but I think based on comments by Paul in
https://reviews.llvm.org/D72828
At least skeletal .debug_line.dwo section (which contains only the
specialized header (the header and the file and directory lists, but not
the actual line table),  should be present for filenames. Same as in case
of type units, a specialized debug_line.dwo is present.

I would like to have your/community thoughts on this.

Presence of specialized line table also enhances dwarfdump's  readiibilty
while reading DW_AT_decl_file from a DWO object, it only shows[even in
verbose mode] the file number, *not*  the name of the file. Perhaps it
tried  looked for the corresponding entry in debug_line.dwo which is
absent. For the primary object dwarfdump  DW_AT_dec_file attribute is more
readable with the file number and the file name both present.

Thanks a lot!
Sourabh Singh Tomar