[llvm-dev] [RFC] Abstracting over SSA form IRs to implement generic analyses

Nuno Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Dec 27 07:57:59 PST 2020

Hi Nicolai,

I’m quite sympathetic with the idea of abstracting away details of IRs and having a single implementation of analysis and optimizations over these abstractions. IMHO, that’s the main feature missing in MLIR.
That said, the analyses you consider in the document seem a bit limited. The first two, at least, related with dominators are just a few lines of codes. Which makes me wonder if the trouble, extra complexity, etc, of going this generic way is worth it. Isn’t it simple to just duplicate them in MLIR?

I would be very supportive of a generic alias analysis, for example. That’s a serious amount of work and potentially complicated algorithms that could be reused across LLVM and various MLIR dialects. Plus LLVM could use a new alias analysis algorithm. But that requires going a bit further than your proposal. One needs an abstraction that can cover several IRs and provide enough information to the AA algorithm in an efficient way. Also, it likely needs to know about undefined behavior. But MLIR has been avoiding that issue for now, AFAICT. So anything on that front would likely be wrong, as there hasn’t been much thought about UB in MLIR. (AFAIK; I don’t follow MLIR closely)
MLIR’s ODS doesn’t seem sufficient either, as it only allows (at least now) to attach shallow semantics attributes to instructions, similar to LLVM ones. Maybe that could be extended somehow?

TL;DR: While I’d love to see LLVM/MLIR go into the direction you are proposing, I’m not sure the set of considered analyses is sufficiently complicated to award the investment in complicated infrastructure.

Nuno