[llvm-dev] Running lit tests with pre-built binaries

Kaylor, Andrew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Dec 16 16:44:39 PST 2020

Hi everyone,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to run in-tree lit tests using pre-built binaries rather than building everything in the current workspace?

The specific problem I'm trying to solve is testing a heterogeneous runtime library with multiple offload configurations. The host system architecture is the same for all the cases I want to test, so I'd like to be able to build the compiler once and then deploy it to different systems and run the runtime library's LIT tests on each of those systems. Some of the systems I need to test don't have a lot of host compute power, so I'd like to avoid rebuilding the project if possible.

It seems like this should be possible, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it.

I suppose I could copy the entire build directory from my build system into an appropriate location on the test system to make it look like it was built there, but that feels like a very fragile solution.

I could also duplicate the tests into a configuration like the llvm-test-suite that is designed to be run with a pre-built compiler, but that would introduce problems with keeping the tests in synch with the source.

Would it be reasonable to modify the runtime library's lit config files to provide an in-tree option for them to use an external compiler and library path?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-Andy